Artificial Intelligence (AI) has become an important part of the modern world. A growing number of industries are using AI tools in their everyday operations. AI chatbots help with routine tasks and enhance customer experiences. Businesses are using AI chatbots to interact with customers. AI chatbots also help to ease human work.
San Francisco–based OpenAI has transformed the AI world with the launch of ChatGPT (Chat Generative Pre-trained Transformer) on November 30, 2022. ChatGPT is a chatbot that uses a language-based model for content generation and answering users’ questions. It also helps to develop codes and write assignments.
ChatGPT has become a chatbot sensation since its launch. And you know what? ChatGPT is the fastest-growing app outpacing TikTok. ChatGPT gained 100 million users in just 2 months, while TikTok took 9 months.
But with the recent announcement of Google’s AI chatbot named Bard, which is believed to be a direct competitor of ChatGPT. On February 6, 2023, Google’s CEO – Sundar Pichai, announced the launch of Google Bard, which will be available to the public in the coming weeks.
1/ In 2021, we shared next-gen language + conversation capabilities powered by our Language Model for Dialogue Applications (LaMDA). Coming soon: Bard, a new experimental conversational #GoogleAI service powered by LaMDA. https://t.co/cYo6iYdmQ1
— Sundar Pichai (@sundarpichai) February 6, 2023
So let’s take a closer look at what are the differences between ChatGPT and Google Bard.
What is ChatGPT?
The viral bot ChatGPT is a trained model developed by OpenAI. It interacts with users in a conversational way. Since its release, ChatGPT has been in the headlines as it simplifies tasks like content generation, question answering, code generation, and summarization. It understands human language and is capable of generating human-like text.
What is Google Bard?
Google Bard is a conversational AI service by Google, powered by LaMDA (Language Model for Dialogue Applications). It aims to combine the scope of the world’s knowledge with their massive language models’ ability, intellectuality, and creativity. Bard extracts information from the web and provides accurate answers to users. Bard is in the testing phase and will be available to users in the next couple of weeks.
ChatGPT vs Google Bard
Though ChatGPT and Google Bard are both conversational AI chatbots, there are quite a number of fundamental differences between them.
- Bard was created by Google – a multinational organization, while ChatGPT was created by OpenAI – a startup.
- ChatGPT uses a Generative Pre-trained Transformer-3 (GPT-3) language model, which needs to be fed with large amounts of data. On the other hand, Bard uses Language Model for Dialogue Applications (LaMDA), its patented language, which uses data from the internet.
- As ChatGPT has been fed with large sets of data, its knowledge is limited to the events till 2021. While Bard draws knowledge from the internet, it provides fresh and up-to-date information.
- ChatGPT is liable to provide errors, while Bard is believed to provide more accurate data to users.
- The basic edition of ChatGPT is free to use. Anyone can sign up and make use of its services. The paid version is also available, known as ChatGPT Plus, which provides more advanced features like 24×7 accessibility, early access to new features, unlimited chats, and faster responses. On the other hand, Bard is currently open to only a group of testers and will be available to the general public in the next few weeks.
AI is taking the leading place in our lives and work. In the future, there will be fierce competition between AIs and let’s see who tops the list. Companies must examine the benefits and risks involved in using AI and implement it efficiently.
Although ChatGPT and Bard are excellent platforms, they must be handled carefully to avoid consequential implications.
This was our perspective on ChatGPT and Google Bard. Let us know in the comments what you think.